Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Back into running

I have not run since I was 6 weeks pregnant. I think I tried once after that, but had a cold, fall allergies, and first trimester exhaustion  so I stopped running. That is 11 weeks of less than normal activity. I have gone to the gym here and there to use the elliptical and do some weights. I am doing my weekly dance class, which is a good workout once a week.

But today, I forced myself back running. I used the treadmill at the gym at work. I was afraid I would fall off. Had no clue where I would be after taking a long break.

I did pretty well. Took it easy since:
- 1 - it has been a while
- 2 - I am pregnant.

Was not as bad as I thought it would be. I peed before I started working out. The second I started running had to pee again. Surprise Surprise. Amazing how 11 weeks of pregnancy and the weight of the uterus, baby, etc on the bladder make this happen. So stopped after 6.5 minutes of running and a 1.5 minute warm up to pee. Then got back on (happy the treadmill didn't reset!) and ran for another 7 minutes. Well with a quick walk in the middle and at the end to cool down. Did 1.1 miles total. Not great, but a good start.

I will continue this till my bump can't take it anymore. Then will move back to the elliptical. I could have gone longer, but don't want to push myself as hard as I would have not pregnant.

And I did NOT fall off the treadmill. Was not as hard as it was when I tried it at the beginning of the year. I guess I mentally and physically remembered how to run :)

No comments:

Post a Comment