Monday, August 6, 2012

Running

I have been doing the Couch To 5K (C25K) training program for the past 5 weeks. I realized I needed to step up my work out routine a bit, and wanted something I could 1 - do outdoors 2 - do with Evie 3 - do easily from home. So running was perfect.

I have always hated running. That is why I choose swimming in high school. It was the sport I liked, and I didn't have to run. I just always felt uncoordinated and could only run a short distance before getting exhausted. But I could swim for a while fine. Could roller blade forever fine. Just hated running.

But was time to put that behind me and I started the C25K program. I was lucky I had built up my cardio on the eliptical machine at work (was doing 30 minutes at a time) so I knew I could do a time with my heart rate elevated. But the first day sucked - 60 second jog 90 second walk. Every week it would up the time of jogging. Easing me into running/jogging for a longer period of time ( i use those two terms interchanging, since really what is the difference? I am kicking butt to run as long as I do and dripping sweet but going slow so....).

Now I can run for over 5 minutes. Actually longer - did 8 min Saturday and a 20 min total on Sudnay which included walking up a hill, there was no way I would run up that hill.I am quite surprised at my progress running. I am enjoying it. Enjoying being outdoors. Enjoying training myself to take deeper breaths (helps SO much). Enjoying the neighborhood and seeing other people out. And enjoying how I feel after a run!

I have not seen much improvement on the scale, but I am also building lots of muscle mass - I am also weight lifting 2x a week. My arm flab is less and not as giggly. I have muscle tone on parts of my arms (hello shoulders). I see some abdominal definition. My legs are looking smoother. But my weight is the same. Ehh I am seeing progress and feeling better so that is what matters. Also I am hoping running will help slim me down.

Also this weekend I started running with Evie. I have a baby jogger city mini. Great stroller. It is not a technical running stroller, but is working well for me. It does not have a running strap, but I made one out of a dog leash. I also added running with a dog. So much harder to run with a stroller than running alone. Then add a dog into that and yep. My arms get more of a work out with a dog and a stroller than single. Penny was the dog I choose on Sunday and she did good. Was exhausted but she needed it. She was a bit confused at first but got into it fairly quickly. Next week will alternate Penny one weekend day then Luna the next.

My work out routine is the following:
Monday - Work out Dance Class
Tuesday - Run
Wednesday - Weights
Thursday - Run
Friday -Weights (or off)
Saturday - Run with Stroller and Dog
Sunday - Run with Stroller and Dog

Monday is almost an off day since the work out isn't till the evening so I have over 24 hours between my work out on Sunday morning and my work out Monday night. But I feel good and am happy where i am right now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment