Sunday, September 9, 2012

Breast Cancer Walk


More than 2 years ago, my aunt (and god mother) was diagnosed with breast cancer. I remember the phone call and thinking “Is this real? It can’t be”. Waiting and Waiting to hear more, about surgery, more diagnosis stuff, etc. I just could not believe this was happening. So young for cancer. 

She had a mastectomy and a tram flap surgery. Then came chemotherapy and radiation. She shaved her head before the hair started to fall out. She rocked a scarf on her head! Still full of life, laughter, and love. The chemo and radiation was hell on her. 

Now every 6 months she gets an IV drug (Zometa) which strengthens her bones. Soon she begins a 5 day a week hyperbaric oxygen treatment (think stuck in a clear tube absorbing higher concentrations of oxygen) -  2 hours each day, for 6 weeks. Sounds like a great time right?

But Deedle (what I will always call her ever since I was a toddler) is doing great. Busy but great. I cannot believe how far she has come.

To support her, Nick, Evie and I are participating in her team’s Breast Cancer Walk October 14th in Boston. The team is open to more teammates. I would love some friends to join us! You will get a free lunch and a ride to and from the walk so you don’t have to deal with Boston traffic (from a town in MA). Will be a lot of fun - and come on it is just a walk not a run! Oh and if you are contemplating it - you get a free shirt. The team name - ’50 SHADES OF PINK’! Come on such a great team name!

If you can’t join in on the walk, think about donating. A little bit of a donation goes towards free mammograms to help detect cancer early!

To join the team or to make a donation please visit:
(or my personal page to donate to my small goal)

And if you want to read about my Aunt’s Cancer story, which is quite humorous you can read her blog here.




No comments:

Post a Comment