Thursday, June 2, 2011

Hand Foot and Mouth Disease

Memorial Day weekend was a interesting one.

Friday, I left work early. Picked up Evie at daycare. Packed our stuff for an overnight at my aunts house! Had not seen them in a while (Nick did not join). Us girls and Chubba (my uncle). Was fun. But Evie just was not acting herself. Friday night she was fine. At dinner. Fell asleep in the pack n play. Woke up a few times. Ended up joining me in bed (ok I do enjoy her in bed with me when I am sleeping over somewhere). She woke up quite a few times next to me all night.

Saturday morning. Helped them get ready for their yard sale. Scored some great stuff for Evie. Little People, books, crib sheets. But as the day progressed she was very clingy. Not interested in food (solids). Just not herself. She threw up outside a little bit too. Was very strange. She kept playing with her head/ears. My first thought - ear infection!

On our way home, and hour long drive, called up Nick and he called the on call dr and left a message. She didn't have a fever. He said to keep an eye on her and call back in the morning.

Saturday night, ugh. She pretty much only slept in our arms. She ended up with a mild fever. Tylenol helped. Just not herself at all and having the "I Am In Pain Cry". My poor baby. Called up the pediatrician and brought her in.

She had an interesting diaper rash going on. A red bumpy rash on her arms and legs. He checked her ears, clean. Checked inside her mouth - bingo. White dots towards the back.

No day care for a week - she is contagious. Can't give her anything but tylenol / motrin. Lots of cuddles.

So for those who don't know. Hand foot and mouth disease is a rash on the arms/legs/hands/feet, and blisters inside the mouth. Sounds lovely doesn't it. Fever, nauseous, headaches accompany it. It is NOT related to the animal hoof and mouth.

Most adults are immune to it. It is a fairly common disease, especially in social settings.

No wonder she was uncomfortable and not interested in eating.

What I did find that helped her was yogurt and cold popsicles.

She is doing better every day. I don't think the heat wave we have been having is helping. She is eating more and more. More smiley and more herself! 

Just has been a rough week. I don't mind the cuddles. But I just feel so bad for her when I can't do much to make her better. But a mom hug, does do wonders :)

No comments:

Post a Comment