Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Cloth Diapers at Day Care!

Yep! You read that title right. We are now using cloth diapers at day care!!!!!!!!!

It all started last last Thursday (Feb 24). That morning went to get Evie to start the day, get ready for work/day care, etc. Saw that she scratched up her forhead bad at night. Lovely. She does this once and a while. So I put some Aquaphor on it since usually it helps heal and hydrate the scratched skin.

Brought her to day care, saying that she scratched her head last night, they noticed immediately too. I said to please put some Aquaphor on it randomly throughout the day to help it heal. Once at work, probably 30 minutes after I dropped her off I got a call from day care. They said they think it looks infected and wanted me to bring her to the pediatrician.

Had to wait till 9 for the pediatrician's office to open. Called and made an appointment around lunch time.

So the benefit of this appointment is that the doctor FINALLY got to see Evie's bum in a disposable. And she was surprised how red and irritated it looked. She believed me that it was better in cloth. She prescribed a cream for Evie's forehead since it was slightly infected (totally healed now). And the best part about the visit - She wrote a prescription for day care to use cloth diapers!!!!!! She said that yes Evie does have eczema (which surprise surprise, I have sensitive skin, my mom has eczema now, my grandmother has to use hypoallergenic lotions and makeup, my uncle had eczema as a child, my dad's side is all full of allergies...should have figured this out).

So we have to make sure to lather her up with lotions, at least twice a day. Always moisturize her head. Always have the humidifier on (we had been doing this all winter anyways). And her skin is better and she is less itchy.

So cloth at day care. They were not thrilled at first. Were trying to convince me to try different brands of disposables. They did not know how modern cloth diapers are. They thought they would have to deal with safety pins (haha). Told me the state regulations I have to go by. But in the end they said they would try it!

So what we have to do:
Provide a trash can outside the building with a lid on it to hold the dirty diapers
Provide enough diapers for 1.5-2 days in case she uses a lot
Provide bags for the dirty diapers to go in (each diaper has to be in its own bag in the trash can, state regulation)

Not bad. I have brought them a lot of grocery bags to use and have a handful of wetbags we use. I am getting more gradually so we won't have to use grocery bags, since I rarely get them at home since we use our canvas bags.

And after almost 2 weeks things are going well. Her bum is rarely irritated. Sometimes it gets easily dry. We do slather it in California Baby Calendula Cream at each diaper change to make sure her bum stays hydrated. Sometimes at home I also use some lanolin cream to really moisturize it.

But they are not complaining about it anymore. I don't think it is as much of a hassle as they were expecting. They are amazed at the modern cloth diapers (we use pocket, bumgenius, rumparooz and blueberry (on the way from their clearance section)). We only use aplix (velcro) at day care to make it easier on them and make them as close to disposables as possible.

And the great thing - NO MORE BLOWOUTS! Yes! Evie is a pooper. She poops about 2-4 times a day. And probably 2-3 times a week she would need an outfit change in disposables. But in almost 2 weeks not one (bet I am jinxing myself now).

But yes so happy with this! And so is Evie!

No comments:

Post a Comment