Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Evelyn Irene's Birth Story



Wednesday August 11, 2010 we arrived at the hospital at 7:20 am to start the induction process since I was one week overdue. Got changed and was waiting for the doctor to arrive. At 8:30 we got the order to start the pitocin. My doctor came in at 8:50ish. She broke my water, wow that felt like a huge warm gush! The pitocin started out slow at 2mL/hour and almost every half hour it was increased by 2. Started to feel some contractions about an hour later. They started to get more and more uncomfortable once the pitocin was set to 8mL/hour. We ordered lunch, since everyone thought we would be delivering around 11 that evening, I really wanted to make sure I had my energy.


I decided I wanted to try walking around - to help get things going and to stretch and keep my mind off things. The pitocin was up to 14mL/hour. While we were walking the contractions were 1 minute 30 seconds apart, lasting for 50 seconds. We did one loop and I HAD to get Nubane. When we got back in the room, she backed me down to 12mL/hour. Food was delivered, but had NO interest in eating. I had to stop and concentrate to get through each contraction. Was not vocal at all, so I don’t think anyone really knew how painful they were. We got back to our room and the nurse gave me the nubane. It really didn’t take any edge off. Just made me sleepy between contractions. Nick asked what the estimated time of delivery was, since he knew I was in pain. They told him around 10pm or 11pm, and he was worried about me being in pain for that long. My blood pressure kept going up and they were ordering blood work to make sure everything was ok. They had me lay on my left side since the baby was reacting to contractions while I was on my right. Then they got really painful. Was begging for an epidural, but had to wait for the blood work. Took forever for them to get up and take it. I didn’t even see who took it, I just was laying there trying to get through each contraction. I remember hating that my arm had to be relaxed and out when they were drawing the blood. Really wanted it bent in front of me, resting on the edge of the bed. I know they were 2-3 minutes apart and seemed to last forever. But closing my eyes and relaxing between each one was fantastic. It helped me through each one, knowing I would be able to relax with my eyes closed. Nick was awesome and was rubbing my leg - really gave me something to concentrate on and was soothing. I also remember it was hard to breath slowly through the contractions.


30 minutes after backing down the pitocin, my nurse checked me and was very surprised - I was 10 cm and the baby’s head was right there! She called up my doctor, who was just about to start a D&C, and asked if she had time. Nope, that got postponed. She arrived in the room, got things set up. Started pushing! She kept saying that I was made to have babies. 4 contractions later - 3 pushes each contraction, and little Evelyn Irene was born at 1:23 - 20 1/2 inches - 7lb 10 ounces! Could not believe it was a girl! I would like to say I knew the whole time. Was always leaning towards girl! They put her right on my chest and dried her off there and checked her. She got an 8 and then a 9 on her APGAR score. They said that Evie got really good nutrition since the umbilical cord was larger than normal.


I had a 2nd degree tear. I think I felt it tearing at the time. I do remember feeling the shots and the stitches for the tear. They could not believe how far I progressed! No one was expecting me to deliver that early, especially since I kept my pain to myself. Really, the contractions did not get bad until noon. Yes they were uncomfortable, but I was able to concentrate and talk through them. Kind of pushed the pain to the back of my head.


So worth it and so in love!










No comments:

Post a Comment