Friday, August 20, 2010

Breast feeding Journey

At the hospital we were having issues breast feeding. My nipples are small, and do not protrude much. Evie has a hard time latching with them. At the hospital we could only get her to latch on the right one and only in the side lying position. They had me pump and syringe feed her (curved tip syringe feed her while she is sucking on a pinky). Feeding was a production.

We continued this while at home. I would try to breast feed, Evie would get frustrated, Nick would syringe feed her while I would pump. We would use the fluid that I last pumped with the current feeding. So she was getting breast milk, but we were also supplementing with formula since I was not pumping much. The right boob was pumping about 1 ounce(about 30 mL) and the left boob was pumping 5-10mL.

We went to the pediatrician on Monday (8/16/10), and she said that I should contact the lacation consultant. I called when I got home - told them that my right boob was not producing much and we were having issues latching and feeding.

Went to the lactation consultant on Tuesday (8/17/1o). She was impressed with our dedication of the days and days of syringe feeding. She gave us the OK to move to supplementing with bottles! Such a relief, they are easier and faster! I got fitted for a nipple shield. This thing works WONDERFULLY! Evie latches on so easily (as long as she isn't frustrated, if she is frustrated can take a minute for her to calm down, then it is easier). She does have some issues latching because her hands are in the way. She will feed for over 10 minutes per side. If she gets sleepy we switch feed. 10 minutes on one side, 10 minutes on the other, 5 on the first side, 5 on the second. The switching helps keep her awake. Anyways, at the appointment they weighted her and she took in more fluid on the left boob! All that boob needed was a little miss Evelyn eating! that boob was so firm and full. They had me massage it while she was feeding to help get as much fluid out as possible. They put me on a feeding schedule, nurse, supplement with bottle, pump.

On Wednesday, we continued to do the feedings. Lot easier than the syringes. So happy for those to be gone! Realized Wednesday night my boobs feel so much better and more normal than they have felt in a long time. They were swollen with fluid for most of my pregnancy.

Today (8/20/10) we had another lactation appointment. They weight her naked and she weighted almost 8 pounds! So she is now gaining weight! They are having me pull back my supplementation (supplement every other feeding) since I am pumping about an ounce after feedings so that Evie will feed more at the breast. Will see how that goes. Did the first feeding without supplementation and it went ok. She spent more time at the breast, which is good.

Also today I got my medela freestyle pump! It is charging and I just sanitized the parts! Waiting for them to cool before I pump with it. It has to charge for 24 hours before it can be portable. Will first pump without the hands free attachment, but tonight I know I will try the hands free! So excited to have this pump - much better than the rental one I had from the hospital!

No comments:

Post a Comment