Monday, August 8, 2011

Furniture Hunt

Mobile baby really makes you reconsider what kind of furniture you have.

This weekend she has bonked her head on our coffee table multiple times. From underneath, from on top, on the side, and every other which angle.

I do like our coffee table. It is something my father in law made that we inherited. Good shape, good construction, like the simplicity. I would maybe change the stain, add a shelf under, but not much else.

But I am done of Evie bonking her head on it. I don't want to add padding to the edges since I would not really use it and would cause me to spill so much stuff on it.

So I am on the hunt for an ottoman. And for the space an ottoman would work so much better. We would need to get a bigger side table between the couch and chair. Move the plant that is on  the current table. Get a stained laquered board to put on top of the bunny crate to use as a table when needed. But it would fit the space better and would require me to put my laptop away when not in use, which would make our evenings more social and me not have my head burred in my laptop browsing facebook, pinterest, and online boards.

I want something that has quality but don't want to spend too much money. So I am looking at consignment shops. Went to one yesterday, they didn't have much. But I think I may have fallen in love with a corner storage thing they had but didn't have a price. And I found a teal refurbished desk for the office that also didn't have a price. I may stop in today and see if I can get a price for them.

The corner thing would be in our living room and hopefully replace the bookcase that is overflowing with CDs/DVDs/BlueRays/VideoGames. Some may have to go into storage in the basement (what do you all do for storage of media?). What I liked about this piece was that it was simple lines, had bottom doors, stained dark brown, which our furniture in that room is. And hopefully the price is right!

The desk was cute. Could tell it was recently painted. Had small drawers great for hiding stuff that clutters. Small so it would fit into the room. Loved the color (so me!).

Tomorrow I am stopping at another consignment store. Maybe they will have something.

If it all fails, I may order something cheap from target. Was thinking 2-3 of the small pleather storage ottomans so we could move them around as we need them. But of course our local one doesn't have them in stock (and they do have 2 but are dinged so no thank you).

But it is funny, after being in this house for 4 years, we are finally figuring out the orientation of the living room and are ALMOST done with it!

1 comment:

  1. We did the same thing. I got ours on Overstock. I love it.

    ReplyDelete