Friday, November 5, 2010

Baptism Class

Ugh this whole baptism thing has been difficult!

The classes we are taking are not that bad. And are a nice review. Me going to Catholic school for 9 years, followed by public school but I was very active in my church youth group and went to church weekend retreats. So I am fairly knowledgeable. But Nick is learning things.

Yesterdays was about sin. About commandments and beatitudes (love the beatitudes). Actually they were able to convince me to go to confession (it has been around 10 years) before Evie is baptized. So they did their job!

But talking to my sister on the phone afterwards, depending on what parish, and what priest you are with you get a whole different feeling about religion. These people that are by the book, oh so holy just annoy me.

I remember Fr. Joe (the best priest I have ever known) was a little more laid back. yes he was by the book, but talked about things more rather than reading from the bible. He put things into perspective. Made things fun.

When I was in catholic school, they did this too. We would read from the bible sometimes, but in general it was teaching general topics about religion. I guess this is hard to put into words but Katie and I understood what we were talking about. It may be Pope Benedict that has changed things (vs Pope John Paul 2). Or it is just different parishes.

And they said something that totally irked me, and these parts of the bible I soooo don't go with. The whole that Adam (man) was put in charge over Eve (woman). Yeah no. Nick looked at me and I gave him evil eye.

And last week they said that animals don't go to heaven. That is a total lie. They have souls and so go to heave. Especially my dogs. Already we tell Penny and Luna that they will have to behave themselves when they meet Cleo one day (since she didn't like female dogs). The rainbow bridge on the way to heaven, all my animals will greet me and we will walk in together. And every time I mention the rainbow bridge I start to tear up. Miss you Cleo!

Katie (Evie's godmother) is having issues too being the god mother. Technically she doesn't go to church. She is too busy. And the catholic church in my family's opinion has been having issues. She is in grad school. Has to work to support herself. And is teaching softball. She is one busy woman! And is usually teaching when there is mass. And they are all like well you can't be one since you don't go to church. She is a good spiritual person, and will be a great spiritual leader. You can be a spiritual leader without going to church. Especially since people may physically be in church but mentally they aren't there. GAH! But she got the form signed and that is what matters!

I have to say, I am enjoying going to church again. I do like to read along with the readings. It is just calming. Now I need to try to get Nick up earlier so we can go to an earlier one. 11:30 is so in the middle of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment