Thursday, December 2, 2010

Angel Biscuits

This recipe is from my Mom. I don't remember where she got it. But this is my FAVORITE biscuit recipe. Make it the night before. The longer the dough is in the fridge the better they get. I love to make it on Sunday morning and enjoy them all week. I turn the oven on and throw one in when I get up. Take it out of the oven when done. Put some jam on it and wrap it in foil and bring it into work. Such a yummy easy homemade breakfast! Actually I just finished one with apricot jam!

These pictures don't do it justice - my yeast is starting to die so they didn't puff up as much, and I didn't leave them in the fridge long enough since I was hungry on Sunday morning!

Biscuits Fresh out of the oven!


Angel Biscuits
2 1/4 tsp yeast (I believe this is a package of yeast, I like to keep a jar of yeast in my fridge)
1/2 cup warm water (105F - 115F)
5 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup margarine or butter (very cold/frozen)
2 cups buttermilk

Dissolve yeast in water for 5 minutes (I have found using a chopstick to stir helps it dissolve faster)

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

Cut in butter with a pastry blender/cutter until it resembles a coarse meal. This step is important. The small bits of butter make it flaky and oh so good.

Add yeast mixture and buttermilk. Stir just until moist.

Cover and Chill at least 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 450F. Turn dough out (as much as you wish to use) onto a heavily floured surface and kneed lightly about 5 times.

Roll or pat dough to 1/2" thick and cut with a biscuit cutter. Place on parchment paper. If I am making this in the morning just for myself I just grab a blob of dough out of the container in the fridge, shape in hands and place on parchment paper.

Brush with melted butter (salted I find is yummier, and sometimes just put a small piece of cold butter on top).

Bake for about 13 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment