Friday, January 7, 2011

Sleeping Update

Have given up and are swaddling again. She does sleep much better.

I think part of our sleeping issues is that she doesn't tank up at night like she used to. She will nurse some, get distracted and want to play and look at things. Nurse a little bit more, starting to get tired and frustrated. Then bed. She will wake up and eat 2-3 times at night.

At first I thought it was because we switched to level 2 nipples at day care for her bottles. Maybe the milk isn't coming out as easy. But she is fine nursing in the mornings and middle of the night. This makes me think it is end of the day distraction and wanting to go to sleep....

But the swaddling has helped. As has the humidifier and the cellular blinds. Last night we started with swaddling. And she woke up around 9:30/10 to eat. Slept till 1:30, at again. Slept till 4:30, ate again. And I had to wake her up at 8 to get ready for day care! She did not want to wake up. It was so funny, the expression on her face... "mom just a few more minutes". Or 2 more minutes like Katie always said.

Putting her to bed has always been easy. She doesn't care if she is swaddled or not. Her arms out do wake her up and that is the issue. So the plan is:
Naps she is in her sleep sack in her crib. Blinds closed, door closed
Sleeping we are going to slowly move down her swaddle so that she can learn a little more movement.
Or we may just make the swaddle a little looser. Not sure on this one yet.

Around 2 weeks from now, on a Friday night we will retry the sleep sack. If it fails, go back to swaddle.

She loves her swaddle. And I know don't change if it isn't broken. But I want to be able to have her sleep unswaddled. I want her to be able to move and find the position that she wants to sleep in. I want her to self soothe. I want her to be able to move in her sleep to practice what she has learned.

All with time. We will get there eventually. She is just like her momma. Wants to be cozy and tucked in tight! Now if I could only give her a dog to sleep with..I bet that would fix it all! Haha! I love sleeping with a dog in bed, and I know one day she will want a dog in there with her too!

No comments:

Post a Comment