Sunday, January 30, 2011

Thoughts About the Past

When I was in High School and while I was in college, I lived in New York. My parents lived about 1 hour north of the city (Putnam Valley). I went to school at RPI (Troy).

Looking back it was awesome living that close to the city. Loved taking the Metro North down into the city and spending the day. Loved going with my family, friends, and eventually Nick down to the TKTS booth to grab some cheaper broadway tickets for the matinee or evening showing. Having a great meal at a restaurant. Wandering around, shopping, and just having fun. It really was amazing.

My first trip to NY was for my 16th birthday with my mom and grandmother (Mor). We shopped, we at at Tavern on the Green, we had a horse ride around central park. We just had fun. Yep I think I fell in love with the city then. Have many pictures of that trip and they always put me in a happy mood!

And my favorite part of the city (ok it is probably tied with broadway) is the museums! Some of my favorite are there. MoMA and The Met are by far my favorite art museums. (note here I love the science and history museum in Chicago as my favorite of that type). Nick and I went down there a lot and loved these two museums. I do miss visiting them. Living so close to the city, I never got to visit all the museums I wanted to, but no matter how long we lived down there I know I would always have this feeling of not seeing enough.

So many good memories. And I absolutely loved it. I really am in love with New York. I do not have a I <3 NY shirt.... but my sister does. Of all cities in the US, I have to say that NY is my favorite. Living in NH now, I have not been to Boston, but I do not believe it could compare to NY.

I have not been to the city in 5 years, but I am sure I know my way around it. I need to plan a family trip to NY at some point.

Growing up in NY, I always did want to live in NYC for a year or so. That never panned out, and I never had the opportunity, nor tried to find the opportunity after college. By the time I was done with college my sights were on having a future with Nick. And I am happy with my decision. But in the back of my head I still think it would have been fun, stressful, expensive, memorable, and such an experience to live in the city. Maybe one day, but I doubt it. I so love my life now and would not change a thing! Everything worked out perfectly!

This whole post came from me listening to broadway tunes this morning, and of course they are from shows I have seen on broadway. Hmm what is the list of shows I have seen, I know I have all the playbills from them (Fosse, a drama with my mom, Beauty and the Beast, and Wicked off the top of my head but I know there are many more). I never got to see Lion King. Wanted to see Monty Python. Hopefully I can get Evie into musicals! I am going to start playing musical soundtracks in the morning. My mom did this when I was a kid getting ready in the morning and it was fun and a great way to wake up. I am going to continue this tradition with Evie. I need to get more soundtracks!

1 comment: