Thursday, June 24, 2010

Labor Class

This past weekend we had our labor series class. It was both Saturday and Sunday from 9-2 (but we got out early each day). So quick review of the class. Nick found this one to be the most useful.

We went over pre term labor, anatomy, what positions the baby is in and how it is delivered, how contractions feel, breathing to help during labor, what medications the hospital uses, hospital tour, what to pack, c sections, postpartum.

We wen through the stages of labor. I don't know why but it kinda freaked me out - I think it is the not knowing what the pain actually is and I know I am making it worse in my head...well maybe.

They went through different ways to go through labor. They have a birthing ball to use which I think I will find very helpful! I am so bringing the printout of the different laboring positions with me.

Nick is making a list in his head of the things that he will want to bring. He is really getting into it and thinking of all the things that will help me relax. We both want the same things for our birth plan, so I think that helps.

I need to review the breathing techniques they gave us and find something that I think will work. I also want to work on a playlist on my computer - one soothing, one more distracting that I can sing along to, one to pump me up, etc.

I really like the hospital I will be delivering at. They encourage rooming in with the baby and breastfeeding. I like how they go along with what I want for a birth plan. Seems a lot less like a hospital. I get my own room for delivery and postpartum! I like how they encourage walking during labor and no IV unless needed. They have a push bar and a birthing ball in all delivery rooms! I like at birth they put the baby on your chest right away and do all the measurements and looking with the baby right there. Instant bonding and hope to have it help with breastfeeding.

So for our birth plan here is what I am thinking:
  • I am not against medicine but I want to try as long as possible to not take anything. Would love to go med free, and really want to try, but I am not against getting meds if needed. The hospital has an in between medicine (I forget its name) that takes the edge off the contractions, but you can still feel and move around. It is an injection in the arm.
  • I want to try not to get an IV. I really don't like them and I would like to take in fluids regularly vs getting pumped full of them. I also want to be able to snack...
  • I am happy my hospital does not really do episiotomy. They do massage you during labor and put oil there to help with stretching and not tearing.
  • I really don't want to use a vacuum extraction or forceps. If needed they are fine, but I want to know why they are needed and why we can't wait a little longer.
  • I don't want to use pitocin. I really think it will bring on an epidural. Would like to progress naturally.
  • Would like to avoid a c section.
I know a lot of things will happen and all of this may be thrown out the window. I know Nick will be on top of everything asking the doctor and nurses why is what happening and if we can wait a little longer before we make the next decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment