Saturday, June 19, 2010

Master Closet Project

So we are pretty much done with the master closet project. I want to add a few more shelves here and there (winter sweaters, stacks of T shirts, for pants), but I would say we are 90% done and it is very usable. So happy to finally have the closet mostly done!

We will add flooring when we re-do the flooring of the upstairs. Dealing with sub flooring right now - no biggie.

Our closet before hand. Very tiny tiny - the size of a coat closet. I absolutely hated it. I could only really fit my clothes in it and Nick had to use one of the spare bedroom closets - which gradually migrated to our bedroom unto the rack I put up to store foldables and such. The picture is kinda spotty - I had to grab the camera since I wanted a before picture, I think it was dirty and covered in drywall dust.



Here is Nick and his dad working on the framing - and a picture of the framing with a wall behind it! (pictures taken in February to give a sence of how long this project took)


Then they put up the walls! Really made it feel real. These pictures are after all the spackling, sanding, more spackling, more sanding, priming, and painting! These were taken in early April







We started to add shelving in mid April and gradually added more as we decided what we wanted. We have been using the closet for over a month and so love it, just never added pictures. Today I found all of our clothing and put it in, as well as organized the shoes (put off season under the bed). As stated before, we have ALOT of T shirts. Need to go through them - but so many sentimental ones.

This is what the closet looks like as you enter. We have an entry way where to the left is storage for off season clothing. Yes not totally cleaned, but been wanting to get pictures up! The shoes on the ground, I need to get another shoe rack for that wall. We may add a high shelf, but not sure. Kinda cramps things if we put something there, I think.


More pictures of the main clothing wall, and the main shoe rack! Off season shoes and fancy shoeshoes are in a container under the bed. Thought if I don't need them now or if I don't wear them often I don't need them out! I like the idea of only keep out what you use/need.




On the wall opposite the hanging clothing, we put up drawers. These took longer to do than we ever thought. First only bought 1 to see the quality and see if we really were going to use it. Then we bought the other 3. One of them came broken, so we had to return it. And you know how things go - took about 2-3 weeks to return it. They hold undies, socks, tank tops, etc. (wow I need to clean my camera lense). We are adding a shelf to the top to stack more things (Nick's jeans, shirts). I will use the shelf that the drawers create since I am shorter :) . The top shelf will be where that top bar is.



Nick is using the area under the drawers for his shoe storage - need to get another shoe rack for here. You can see the hole in the wall. This is a crawl space access. We are going to keep it accessable by building some removable shelves (with a back to close it off) that recess into the space. Why waste usable space?


Oh this project is taking forever. Started around January and is almost complete! Just was a lot bigger project than we thought - Nick's first drywalling experience, took us forever to figure out how we wanted things orientated in there, just took forever putting things together. Was also hard to time with Easter, Baby stuff, etc. But hey it is usable and that is all that matters!

But I love it and completely worth the wait!

So the list to finish the project:
Get floors installed...eventually (ok this may be a while, maybe a year when we do the whole upstairs)
Close up hole with removable shelving unit
Add mirror to back of door
Get shoe racks
Little more organization - especially for the top shelves
Add a few more shelves here and there.
The entry way where we are storing off season clothing - add a bar for long hanging items (dresses I don't wear often)

Oh and the room only has one light bulb - I am surprised how well it lights everything up! And the closet does have sky light. Makes it nice for looking in there during the morning/day. Need to make something to put over it to block the uv lights so they don't fade our clothes and shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment